Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Gorilla Detective - The Painting Pt.1

Normally, I would break this up, or post it as I was going along, but the holidays and work have gotten in the way. So, unfortunately this is going to be one long post. We'll start with the outline. For whatever reason, I developed this way of working. I love line work, and this seemed like the best way to preserve the original energy of the sketch. I should also mention that I use a projector to blow up the sketch. Then I put Acrylic medium over the pencils. Then the black outline.

Then I do a quick burnt sienna under-painting, to help me figure out the tones, and what the brightest/darkest object is. When I was in school, for some crazy reason, I never did an under-painting. Then one of my teachers told me how dumb that was. Thanks Fred!

This is just the first couple coats of paint. I like to work dark to light, and really build up the colors. Does anybody work light to dark? Is that even possible?


This last one is where I'm currently at. I can't seem to get the tie right. I wanted it to be bright and tacky, but it really looks crazy. It's like something the Joker would wear. Anybody have any suggestions? Hopefully I'll have some more stuff soon.

1 comment:

Stephie K said...

He kinda looks like Vincent D'Onofrio!! Well done.